Hi Ian,

Alle 06:42, venerdì 25 febbraio 2005, Ian Laurenson ha scritto:
> I am trying to write a routine to make it easier for people to find and
> install templates and add-ons.
> The wizard that I am trying to implement follows these steps:
>
> 1. At the click of a button user downloads a file with information about
> all the available templates and add-ons in the system.
> 2. In a series of subsequent steps user specifies criteria to help them
> find the desired template or add-on.
> 3. The final button installs the templates and add-ons that the user
> selected.
>
> I have written step 2. But keep dithering about the best way of
> implementing step 1. Namely what format this information file should
> take. Thus this email hoping that someone will kick me to get me going
> again.
>
> My current preferred idea is to have a zipped file which contains the
> equivalent of meta.xml files for each template / add-on. Where the user
> defined info. fields are defined as Version; Languages; and Requirements
> currently leaving the fourth field for future development.
>
> What do people think of this approach?
> And, if it is a good idea any pointers for quick ways of reading such a
> file using the OpenOffice.org API?

Some ideas:

1) share the code! may you host your library somewhere in the web?

2) Think the UI before! the UI of your applet shall be nice, functional and
confortable, do not accept compromises here.
If you're thinking to a wizard, keep in mind the new wizard concept used in
OOo2 (with a side bar).
Start the code only when you'll be 100% satisfied from the appearance and
usability of your wizard!
Remember: if the your app has a perfect coding but an ugly UI, nobody will use
it.

3) regarding the format of the "descriptor file", Tom Schindl said to think to
a custom xml format.
Of course, I agree with him and I would add that, with xml api's you will be
able to parse the file very easily. You may want to look the sources of
SnippetCreator for some ideas about this.

I don't think you really need to package your descriptor into a zip file but,
in case, you will need some code to extract the file before to parse it.
Laurent Godard published several examples about how to zip/unzip packages
using OOo API's. (check the code snippet archive and/or Andrew's Macro
Document)

> I really need a kick in the pants to get me motivated for this project,
> I think it is an important project, but feel like a writer with writers'
> block.
:-)

HTH

Ciao