I guess I'm very confused.

All modern flavors of Visual Studio *ship* cmake and ninja. The CMake
config lets us toggle options, things that static build files can't do
well. CMake will emit nmake, or ninja, or vcproj/sln. And as noted
elsethread, it should be able to build for Linux as easily as Windows,
although many more autoconf style tests are needed still.

Please explain why this is problematic 20 years later, now that CMake is a
very well established and well maintained solution?