On Wed, May 13, 2020, 15:08 Gregg Smith <g...@gknw.net> wrote:

> #1, I think this may be your opinion but not so much mine. No, .mak/defs
> are not in trunk but they never have been and they have been added at
> fork to currently all the 1.0 series. And unless I'm mistaken, 1.7 was
> not that long ago.

Historically, httpd (and apr due to common roots) found the makefile churn
during active development to be too disruptive and not worth the iterations
in CVS and later svn. So the projects both put off mak file check-in until
development was largely complete, the API and file tree structure basically
fixed for the lifespan of a new release, and those files almost never
change over the life of a ver.minor epoch.