Thanks.

In the short term, I could try to limit precommits to these two machines
following that example, but presumably that would mean longer queues. Who
owns these machines? Could we just wipe them and install fresh, modern,
consistent OS/environments on them? (The container story seems like a great
long-term solution, especially for local reproducibility, but probably not
as easy...)