To provide slightly more context here, we do have some ability to change
what's on the build machines (they're puppetized and the configurations are
available at https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-puppet), but the
image that they're running is Ubuntu 14.04, and some latest versions of
things are just not available. The machines are owned by Google and managed
with the much-appreciated help of the Apache Infrastructure team.

Making a new image for the slaves has come up a couple of times, and a
sufficiently motivated person could have some impact there by taking on
that work, but it seems to me that given Jenkins has first-class support
for running builds inside of Docker containers, that's probably what we
want for long-term sustainability. I've chatted with Infra a bit about this
issue; they said that they'll have 18.04 support ready in a couple of
weeks, so in that time frame we could start looking at upgrading the image
and getting Dockerized builds going. Yifan, are you planning on owning this
area?

--
-------
Jason Kuster

See something? Say something. go/jasonkuster-feedback