I've been trying to debug why beam_PreCommit_Python_GradleBuild seems to be
failing so often, and it looks like the beam-sdks-python:setupVirtualenv
task succeeds on beam2 and beam6, but always fails on beam1, beam3, beam4,
and beam8. (I didn't see any runs on beam5 or beam7, I vaguely seem to
remember beam5 being blacklisted...) I can't reproduce the failure locally
and the remote logs (e.g.
https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Python_GradleBuild/471/console
) don't seem to be very enlightening either. This leads to a couple of
questions:

* How are our jenkins beam workers configured, and why aren't they the same?
* How does one go about debugging failures like this?

Before too much effort is invested, how far are we from using containers to
manage the build environments?