On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 12:22 PM sankalp kohli <kohlisank...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brandon,
>                   In all respect, we need to discuss and vote before we
> create a new branch. So it is best if we do that instead of creating
> branches.

Fair enough.

> Freeze is a symptom not a cause so if we dont like the symptom,
> we should see how to fix the cause. Are we fine having a database release
> which will be released with 10s of  correctness bugs and with an implicit
> assumption that no one will use it in prod till 10th minor.

I think we're making quite a leap to go from adding new features in
one branch equating to releasing software with more bugs in a
completely different branch.  I think your concern is that by having
the project 'bless' a feature-accepting branch, this will detract from
time they would otherwise spend on stabilizing the release branch (if
we had one.)  I can't fault you for this, it may be a real
possibility, nobody knows.  Nothing can be done about changing what
people decide to work on in a free project, however, and it would be
naive to think there are not people already out there interested in
working purely on new features, with no dog in the stability of 4.0
fight.  I know that's not conducive to your goals (and honestly I'd
rather they help on the 4.0 side too) but that's just the way things
are.

> Everyone wants to innovate but security, durability and availability comes
> first.  People who are working on stabilizing 4.0 are doing it as there is
> no other choice. So I request you to kindly cooperate on working with them
> in making 4.0 a stable release.

Sorry, but I respectfully refuse your statement that there is no other
choice.  This is a free project and there is always a choice for those
who may wish to donate their time.  I would like to cast a wide enough
net to allow all their itches to be scratched here for the future
health of this project.

Kind Regards,
Brandon