I have yet to see a legal reason why including binaries in packages is a
bad thing. I’ve read the thread and the documents linked. In fact, it looks
like it’s done specifically to avoid legal issues with copy left licenses.
It’s very common for Apache to hold on to past policies at the expense of
its projects’ users (see the slow transition to Git) all while claiming to
do it for their benefit. It’s a decade later, the landscape has changed. We
should absolutely protect the project legally but trying to guess the
spirit of open source at the cost of users is of little benefit to all
stakeholders.

In the end this discussion has moved to a list most of us don’t have access
to and when asked to contribute the original reporter basically said “Your
problem. You fix it” despite having a significant amount of experience in
making builds “comply”.  It’s also causing the delay of the projects first
major release in 5 years, that many of this list have contributed large
portions of their life too. That’s not very in the spirit of open source
and I am disappointed again by the ASFs role in this — which continues to
be ambiguous and at the cost of its users and developers.

All that said, if we fix this great. If we don’t, eh. As long as we are
legally compliant with the licenses of the dependencies we use we should
value convenience for users over pedanticsm and statements that are a
decade old. If there is a legal reason to change this it’s been explained
poorly by the ASF and needs clarification. It also can only be so important
if we are only catching it now after so many releases with the project.

Jordan