I agree with Jeff. The inclusion of binary dependencies to assist developers
building from a source release doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me
personally as long as these are purely a convenience and not a requirement.
That said, the stance of the ASF as recorded in the incubator thread is
pretty clear, so I also will not vote to approve future releases containing
binary artifacts. However, I don't think that removing any previous releases
should even be up for debate. In fact, Roy dismisses this idea himself in the
same thread[1]. So it seems that only releases currently being served from
dist.apache.org need to be fixed. With the 2.1 and 2.2 lines due for imminent
EOL, it seems that once CASSANDRA-16391 lands in 3.0, 3.11 and trunk we could
cut new, compliant releases and be done.

As others have mentioned, relying on knowledge of a specific mail thread as
the ultimate lsource of truth is somewhat arcane, so I'm glad that the
discussion on
legal-discuss is happening and that proposals to clarify the policy
documentation
are afoot.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c4b374ccd80f0440746dae343b62c3ba6c73e2531e275ca1e194e335%401332935970%40%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E