On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 7:48 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 25-Jun-2015, at 4:38 pm, Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A few of us are in Amsterdam at DevOps days. We are chatting about
> release management procedure.
> > Remi is working on a set of principles that he will put on the wiki to
> start a [DISCUSS].
> >
> > However to get started on the right track. I would like to propose the
> following easy step:
> >
> > Starting Monday June 29th (next monday):
> >
> > - Only commit through PR will land on master (after a minimum of 2 LGTM
> and green Travis results)
> > - Direct commit will be reverted
> > - Any committer can merge the PR.
>
> +1
>
> I’ve been trying to help close PRs, it was difficult at first but then I
> found some tooling to help me do that. I think it’s certainly do-able
> without investing a lot of effort to do it, perhaps can done everyday or
> every few days in a week.
>
> Some suggestions and comments to improve PR reviewing/merging:
>
> - Let's merge the PR commits in a fast forward way instead of doing a
> branch merge that introduces frivolous merge commits. This is one approach
> to do quickly and painlessly:
>

> http://blog.remibergsma.com/2015/05/24/accepting-pull-requests-the-easy-way/

I'm no git expert, so I don't know if the downloading of patches and
applying them has any benefits over branch merging, but what I usually do
is this:

(github is my remote name for the github repo)

$ git fetch github pull/<PR#>/head:<local branch name>
<review/test locally as needed>
$ git checkout master (or whatever branch you're merging to)
$ git merge <local branch name>

--
Erik