I am extremely interested in this and I very much support the effort that
Roman describes.  But I do think Tidelift is not necessarily a good (and
quite for sure not the only) solution.

I think their interest is a bit separated from ASF one. They mostly want to
promote their service to get the cut of the payments (this is what I see).
Maybe not even the payments they get through ASF but to get popularity and
get the cut later. This is fine as a business model. But I am not sure ASF
should endorse it. There should be - at most - a range of solutions that
ASF can say "you are free to use". I think the "popularity" of a service
should come from the corporate users wanting to use them as
"intermediaries". Those services should be really a solution to make it
easier (and trusted) to get money transferred between parties. And there
might be many of those.

I am currently an independent OSS contributor and get the money from the
stakeholders in various ways - direct contracts and using the preferred
mechanism of my customers (or "stakeholders"). I use various
"intermediaries":
   * SAP Ariba - for Google
   * https://www.letsdeel.com/ - for Astronomer
   * Github Sponsors - for Amazon and others (some of them in advance
discussions)

There is an initial overhead to set it up, but once it's set-up it's easy
to fulfill all the "bureaucratic" stuff on a regular basis. That's what
they promise and deliver. Those platforms provide invoicing and money
transfer mechanisms and charge very, very little for it (compared to
setting up the legal relationship). What is really important and takes a
lot of the time and effort and money is to have contracts with those
parties that protect my freedom and independence as OSS contributor for ASF
projects as well as becoming a valuable party for my partners.

I am lucky enough to be able to negotiate "independence" but also have
enough resources/contracts/stamina/negotiating power to have my lawyers (in
Poland and Slovakia where I have my second business entity) and enough
income to be able to spend a substantial amount of money on setting this
up. I am also lucky to have friendly and competent lawyers that became my
friends over time, not only business partners. I've involved my lawyers in
all the contract discussions and I have some templates but many of the
contributors do not have this freedom/capabilities.

I think some "standards", "policies", "allowed clauses", "templates" might
be of a great help to the committers who just want to "do the stuff" and
don't have enough resources. Happy to help - for starting to share my
contract templates if that might help others.

But those are just technicalities, and I have a much more important comment.

There is - of course - a completely different story. But what is really
important is how to build the relationship, how to find those who will pay
for your job and convince them to do so. But I am afraid none of
Tidelift's or other platforms can help with it. Personal reputation in the
project, building it, spending time, being vocal about it, self-promotion,
speaking, being present is the only way to get people to want you to pay
for your job and none of the platforms can help with it when personal
effort is not spent on "selling" your work. There are no shortcuts for
that. Thinking that when you do a good job, you will be noticed, is
wishful thinking IMHO. If you want success, you need to act beyond doing a
good IT job. And I think possibly making people aware of that and teaching
them how not only to do a good job but also sell it is a way to go.

That's one thing I've learned over the many years in the industry - if you
do a bad job. then selling it is hard. If you do a good job, selling is
easy - but if you won't do it yourself - no-one will do it for you. There
is no-one else but you who can sell your job and you need to learn how to
do it. But many people in our industry do not realise that. I think some
kind of awareness, sharing experience, and providing guidelines to people
who want to earn on open-source contributions (in a very good sense of it)
is something that IMHO ASF can help with (and happy to help with it too - I
am thinking on the next talk "how to make living on contributing to OSS"
talk at Apache Con for one).

Maybe in ASF we should focus on teaching our people to sell the great job
they are doing and not be afraid of it.

J.