> So while I agree with everything Bertrand said I don’t think it resolves
the real issue.
TideLift is providing a guarantee to its customers that projects it
sponsors meet certain
standards. The standards they are looking for should really be set by the
ASF, not
individual projects.

This is the part I do not understand. What Tidelift can promise to their
customers and on what basis?
According to ASF rules where only individuals in the project can make
decisions - this means that Tidelift
has no mechanisms whatsoever to fulfill their promise.

And if ASF sets the standards - why do we need Tidelift at all ?
To be perfectly blunt -  I am afraid that until Tidelift resolves any
of the real problems of individual committers we mentioned with Bertrand
(including facilitating direct relationship commiter <> stakeholder),
I do not see what's the added value of Tidelift. Seems like unnecessary
intermediary.

J.