Hi Roman,

thanks for bringing this up here … I too want to help with exactly this. I
tried starting a discussion on this on members@ but that sort of dried up and
it felt a bit like a monologue or people simply telling me what didn’t work for
them in the past and therefore I shouldn’t try on my own … but I keep on adding
stuff in hope someone might be passively consuming.

For this, in 2021 I invested quite a bit of work, time and even money in
scouting solutions.

I knew most things I tried, would not be successful, but I wanted to do them to
see in which way they didn’t perform. And I’m glad I tried it. Because I did
learn things, that I haven’t thought about before. So let me share this with
you all. Not all things I learned will apply to all projects and all
industries. My experience is greatly dominated by automation industry and my
work on PLC4X.

So initially I tried offering paid consulting, training, and implementation
work for PLC4X. This failed, mainly because the Automation industry is not used
to this concept. At least the concept of individual contractors. Most companies
use Perferred-Vendor approaches. This is the same in more classical
IT-consulting consuming industries. The main difference however is that in the
automation industry there are no proxy-companies as there are in the other
parts of the industry, which individuals could use as proxies. In the past I
have worked for numerous Banks by offering services through consulting
companies that were listed as Preferred vendors. Usually even if a bank
approached me directly, they then said: So, we’re going to take care of setting
things up with company X, which is in our Preferred vendor-list, … This
infrastructure is completely missing in the Automation sector.

In order to make it easier for potential customers to find people willing to
help, we added:
https://plc4x.apache.org/users/commercial-support.html
To the Apache PLC4X website. This was a bit tricky to get right, but I think in
the end we got it into a form that is in-line with the ASF and what we are
allowed to do as a non-profit charity.

In parallel I took every chance to speak at conferences or publish in
tech-magazines. However, our potential customers simply didn’t go to those
conferences or read those magazines. The automation industry has industrial
fairs instead of conferences and their magazines are all pay to play. So, you
need to invest a lot of money to be noticed. This is 100% in conflict with the
ASF’s mission, and I don’t really see any way how we can change this, unless
companies are willing to sponsor Open-Source (and ASF) content or give us some
space at industrial fairs. I definitely don’t see the ASF using it’s budget for
that, unless it’s a targeted donation explicitly for this sort of thing.

I tried platforms like Github Sponsors (Where I must continuously keep on
searching for how to find the page every time) https://github.com/sponsors/ …
however this didn’t work at all. I think I had one sponsor for 2 or 3 months,
but that was a friend from the ASF. The problem is that the industry is used to
buying products and not to consuming services. Also, a donation is not targeted
and doesn’t work well with industrial book-keeping.

I tried contacting companies like tidelift, but no matter what I did, I never
got any response, but instead every time I got more spam wanting to tell me
about how awesome open-source is (Yeah … tell me about it ;-) )

I tried setting up a crowd-funding platform. The problem with the existing ones
was, that they are not made for sponsoring feature development for open-source
projects. I didn’t want to invest more time in preparing marketing videos for a
campaign that takes longer to prepare than to implement the feature. As I
couldn’t find any, I decided to setup my own. As I’m lazy and my website was
based on WordPress I used WP-Crowdfunding
(https://www.themeum.com/product/wp-crowdfunding-plugin/) … but I knew I had to
have this legally checked. So, I hired a lawyer to check what I was planning on
doing (Which is quite tricky … not many lawyers seemed to be willing to do
that, guess most are just concentrating on the usual stuff).

Turns out (at least in Germany) a classical crowdfunding is not possible. The
problem is that if a campaign is not successful, you must pay back the invested
money. Above that you are required by law to pay interest on that. This is
where things start getting interesting: As soon as you pay interest, you offer
bank-like services. And this requires you to run your business through BAFIN.
Which is a HUGE amount of paperwork and probably even expensive. The only
option I had, was to run it as a donation without any repayments.

Of course, this again brings up the problem that donations don’t go down well
in corporate accounting. So, I wasn’t expecting much to happen on my new
crowdfunding platform. But I thought: If this should happen to work, I would
like to enable others to do the same, so I added a few bucks to the lawyer bill
and had him prepare something that I was allowed to give to others to use (Sort
of like “terms of service” with a permissive license). This: Having a lawyer
check if crowdfunding is possible and if yes, in which way and having them
prepare the “terms of service” cost quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I was right with the acceptance of this platform:
Not a single cent got paid into any of the campaigns I listed. The sums some of
them list were simply test-data I intentionally left there when going online
;-).

But one thing I didn’t expect, was that having campaigns listed and having a
price-tag assigned to them, made companies approach me directly asking for a
different form of sponsoring the campaigns. So right now, there are 2 campaigns
that are being sponsored and they even got the companies to actively
participate. So, I will not be doing all the work on my own but we’re splitting
things up between me and the companies, making them become more involved in the
project. This is good for me and for the Project.

So, I think we need to do two things:

  *   List individuals or companies willing to provide services around one of
our projects
  *   List possible features that could be implemented and assign some sort of
measure to them (like developer-days needed to implement … I would strongly
object adding prices, but having developer-days should be a dimension they can
think in and sort of get an idea on what costs to expect)

Also, would it be good, if we could establish some sort of standard for
projects offering this sort of thing, so people get used to it. Similarly to
“every project has a download page” we need awareness that there’s also a
“commercial-support” (or whatever we call it) page and some sort of feature
catalog.

I do think there are ways how we can ensure income to solo developers or small
companies and still stay in line with the ASF mission. And finding these paths
is what I would like to do in the future.

Chris