On Mar 8, 2024, at 9:19 AM, Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> I attended a talk last week at FOSS Backstage by Spot Callaway, who started
> the Fedora badges program. He said that the guiding principles are:
>
> * It should be fun, not legalistic.
> * It should celebrate non-code accomplishments at least as much as code ones
> * It should be easy - it should celebrate people automatically for stuff
> they’re already doing, rather than requiring them to go out of their way to
> request something, or jump through hoops somehow.
> * We should be able to give badges manually, so that we can celebrate
> spontaneous things. The example given here is that at every conference where
> Fedora has a presence, there’s a QR code that, if you scan it, you get a
> badge. This allows people to get badges for everything from attending an
> event to landing a patch to sending email to a list to whatever we can think
> of.

FYI, Spot sent me the full notes from that slide:

1. It needed to be fun. The artwork should reflect that, it doesn’t need to be
boring and corporate.
2. It needed to be easy. You should just start getting badges for the things
you’re doing.
3. It needed to be collaborative. Beyond the badge code being open source (it
was & is), people should be able to suggest new badges
4. It must go beyond code. Code is easy, other contribution types are harder,
but we should do everything we can.
5. We should have a way to award badges manually, aka, not from the message
bus. This allowed us to do badges for “visiting Fedora at an open source
event”, which turned out to be one of our most popular badge types.