> Badges may well cause some people to feel valued, but I think they can be
divisive. What about people who don't 'earn' enough points to merit a
badge? Might that not cause them to feel undervalued?

I think merit frameworks are inherently divisive, but the benefit of badges
is that it gives flexibility to create new types of recognitions that were
not previously considered, making the merit framework more inclusive as
more badge types are created.

The standard ASF merit framework is too coarse-grained what might cause
people to feel undervalued: a contributor may feel undervalued because it's
not a committer, a committer may feel undervalued because it's not a PMC.
This program will address that limitation by providing finer-grained
recognition which is easier to quantify, making contributors happier even
if they don't make the next merit level of the standard ladder (which
should not be affected by this program).

If someone doesn't earn enough points to merit a badge, they should not
deserve that particular badge, and this is OK.  They will at least have the
"fist contribution" badge :-)

> Regarding encouraging PRs: it's not the number of PRs that matter, it's
the usefulness. If number of PRs is to be used as a credit towards getting
a badge, maybe there should be a way to flag some PRs as undeserving.

I agree. I don't think number of commits alone should be the sole criteria
to award a badge, but it should also not be disconsidered either.