Leo, the rename isn't required, as a third party author you can publish
your plugin using the plugin id to npm, and no mapping is required.

But for cordova core plugins, we think the plugin id is a bad choice for
package name for aesthetic reasons, and the fixed name mapping solution
provides us with compatability.  I think its a good forward looking choice.

-Michal