Another update:

- TargetPlatformVersion problem was solved by adding a `prepare` step
to the e2e tests
- `cordova requirements` is fixed for current setups
- VS2017 can not be used to build Win8.1 projects it seems (or did I
mess up?): https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-13874
- MSBuildTools selection is broken for current VS17 (15.5) and
different setups of it. Solution:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-13877 +
- That one specific test failure at AppVeyor is still being
investigated (no idea for now, maybe "just" an overlapping process
problem)

But progress is made.