Well, during some more testing I noticed problems with `cordova requirements`:

> λ cordova requirements
> Requirements check results for windows:
> Windows OS: not installed
> Error: Cannot read property 'os' of undefined

The same is true for running `bin/check_reqs` directly which should do
the same/similar thing. After looking into that it seems like this way
to check the reqs is broken since a few years, so this is not a new
thing and won't hold up the release by itself, but I created two
issues about it: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-13868

Back to `cordova requirements`: This also seems to be a follow up
problem of the change of the default platform from `8.1` to `UAP` - in
this case the script knows nothing about "UAP" but only "10.0".
Further I then noticed that different checks (VS2017 and MSBuild) are
missing version numbers here - so this currently can not work with
current tooling.
Issue for this is here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-13870

This will take some time :/