There is a list of the timeline for all relevant versions here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/updates-and-versions/choose-a-uwp-version

There are 2 important values at play:
Target Version : this should probably be the most recent release we
support, probably 16299
Minimum Version : this should be as far back as we can go ...
probably 10586

Ultimately we will need to add a method to configure these values via
config.xml preferences, but I don't think we should wait for that to happen.

Changing these values on my windows machine meant all the tests passed, I
had failing tests using master as-is.

The failing test on appveyor is something different related to environment
I believe.  Making these same changes that worked on my machine did not fix
the fail on appveyor.

I think we should go ahead with the 6.0.0 release, and plan to do a patch
release in the near future when we work out the details of a configurable
target/minimum version.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com