On Wednesday 09 September 2009 15:42, Clayton wrote:
> Nino Novak wrote:
> > Additional insights: Comparing the English (original) WG2 to the
> > German "translation" I noticed that the German WG has different
> > chapter titles and structure in several places, so for me it seams
> > quite reasonable not to stick to the proposed document path
> > structure which just appends a DE/ at the beginning (Doc/WG2/... ->
> > DE/Doc/WG2...) but to use different path names according to the
> > German document stucture.
> >
> > What was the rationale behind the "strictly" matching path
> > structures?
>
> There are several reasons.

Could you tell me which other reasons there are?

> For example, we are using InterWiki
> linking to link from one document translation to another.

Sorry but, for the User Guides, this is a minor requirement, nice to
have but absolutely unnecessary for 99% of the end users - which often
are software newbies and just want to learn the basics. They don't need
to switch to Chinese by one click ;)

For the moment, I think we can totally ignore this requirement without
remarkable quality loss.

Are there any *important* obstacles?  ;-)

[...]

> As for the different structure... is this because you've found a
> better way to present the information?  Is this a problem/solution
> that could also be used in the English side, making both document
> sets better?  The Chinese translation was able to maintain the same
> document structure... so I'm curious what ended up in different
> places in the German translation.

For this I'd have to dive in deeper, which I possibly will do later (my
plan is to help migrating the German UGs to OOo 3).

Nino