Clayton wrote:
Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
Clayton, with regards to the German and English user guides, they often
are not "translations" page-by-page. Some of the German UGs began as
translations from English (and the English Draw Guide began as a
translation from German), but both the DE and EN books have diverged
from that common source before being put on the wiki.

It's quite a different situation from a primarily wiki-based doc like
the Basic Guide or any other that may actually be translated
page-by-page. And therefore, I think, needs a different (or at least
modified) solution to the question of "What about a German user who
arrives on the Wiki and ends up at the
English guide?"

Ah, there is where a bit of the "issue" comes in.. the history of the
docs prior to Wiki-fying them can have a significant impact on the way
things are handled.  I missed/forgot that bit at the start of the
thread. If we assume a separate path for these docs, are they maintained
as totally independent docs?

Yes, as far as I know, the German and English docs are maintained completely independently. Nino should be able to confirm this.

Other languages (that work through OOoAuthors) may maintain a closer, or very close, relationship with the English originals. I don't know if any of them intend to wikify their translations.

--Jean

For the Dev Guide, Basic Guide, and Admin Guide, the process I've
outlined in my previous email is working reasonably well given the
restrictions of the Wiki.