Sunday, March 11, 2018, 5:22:39 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> If RedHat took ownership of the tool then they should be able to
> take care of changing the license and sending an SGA to the ASF.

In the case of FreeMarker Online *we* have changed the headers after
the PR from Kenshoo (the contributor) was merged. But in the case of
FreeMarker IDE it's much less obvious (to me at least) if they own the
thing fully ("Red Hat Middleware, LLC, and individual contributors"),
so better push that step on them? Is that what you mean?

> However, nothing in your email indicates that RedHat has any
> interest in donating the tool to the ASF.

Nick Boldt was positive about the idea, and he has CC-ed to some
others as well (some are legal guys I presume), and also it was on
jbosstools-dev (a public list), and so far there was no negative
reactions, except that they don't want much work with this. So, if
this is to progress anywhere, I believe first we have to tell them
what exactly they had to do, and then they can make up their minds.
Actually, they are waiting for me to tell if ASF wants this at all,
and how.

> Short of that your only real option is to fork it to GitHub. You
> would have to leave the existing code as LGPL but anything new you
> add could use any license you want.

That will happen if it can't come here.

> Another option would be to look at the functionality of the tool and
> create something similar without using any of the code. Of course,
> that is a lot more work.

Yeah, but I'm afraid that's unlikely to happen... Or, anyone wants to
write nice fresh and modern Eclipse plugin, certainly based on the
Eclipse LSP and TextMate syntax highlight plugins? If someone says
that he will reach a release within a few months, then users can just
survive on my personal fork until that...

> Ralph
>> On Mar 9, 2018, at 11:03 AM, Jacques Le Roux <>
>> wrote:
>> Le 09/03/2018 à 16:59, Daniel Dekany a écrit :
>>> I was hasty here... as some people use multiple e-mail addresses, it's
>>> actually "only" 19 contributors, out of which 11 is/was at RedHat.
>> So it's only 8 persons to reach since RedHat seems OK. That sounds doable :)
>> Jacques

 Daniel Dekany