On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 3:34 PM, Daniel Dekany <ddek...@apache.org> wrote:
> Sunday, March 11, 2018, 5:22:39 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> If RedHat took ownership of the tool then they should be able to
>> take care of changing the license and sending an SGA to the ASF.
>
> In the case of FreeMarker Online *we* have changed the headers after
> the PR from Kenshoo (the contributor) was merged. But in the case of
> FreeMarker IDE it's much less obvious (to me at least) if they own the
> thing fully ("Red Hat Middleware, LLC, and individual contributors"),
> so better push that step on them? Is that what you mean?
I'm not a lawyer, but whether Red Hat owns fully or partially, if they
don't agree, I don't think we can simply move it to ASF.

>> However, nothing in your email indicates that RedHat has any
>> interest in donating the tool to the ASF.
>
> Nick Boldt was positive about the idea, and he has CC-ed to some
> others as well (some are legal guys I presume), and also it was on
> jbosstools-dev (a public list), and so far there was no negative
> reactions, except that they don't want much work with this. So, if
> this is to progress anywhere, I believe first we have to tell them
> what exactly they had to do, and then they can make up their minds.
> Actually, they are waiting for me to tell if ASF wants this at all,
> and how.
Do you mean the 'individual contributors' by them?
I'm afraid that ASF cannot give a good direction to them as the
'owner's should decide what to do themselves first.
We can just say we're willing to host the project if the 'owner's
willing to do donate though.

Regards,

Woonsan