Jason Dillon wrote:

FYI, I imported the GERONIMO space from:

http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/ Home

Are we allowed to run this in the zone? It would be nice to get confirmation of this (how I don't know) as I don't think users will be happy if they contribute to it and then have the rug pulled from under their feet.

I suggest that we reorganize this content into another space(s). I created a USERGUIDE10 and ADMINGUIDE10 space... not sure if we want to segregate the docs like that, but I think that we should be the documentation into a separate space from the main site space (similar to how Confluence docs are http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ CONF20/Confluence+2.0+Home).

So right now there is:

MAIN - The main site space, this is kind of a facade over the rest of the spaces
DEV - Space for development/developers content
SANDBOX - Where people can freely play with wiki markup
INT - Internal space for common images, etc, not directly accessible by normal users

And these guys too:

GERONIMO - The imported space as mentioned above
USERGUIDE10 - Empty
ADMINGUIDE10 - Empty

I'm not sure that we need a separate user vs. admin guide right now... so perhaps we can just collect all of the documentation into a DOC10 or GUIDE10 space or something.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

We need to have a strategy on how we are going manage reviewing, removing out of date content, and moving valid content from the existing Wiki. A lot of the existing content is out of date or irrelevant. We need to be careful that we don't end up having two half baked Wikis for Geronimo. Maybe ApacheCon would be a good opportunity to get everyone together and review the content in the existing Wiki. IMHO, if we don't have accurate documentation for the 1.0 release then we should reconsidering the release (we kind of had an excuse for milestone releases, 1.0 should be a step up in quality from milestones.. users will have expectations of quality).

The site shows we are using an Evaluation License. We should have a full license if we are relying upon it.

Is there a way we can set the footer on every page to say that any content contributed to the Wiki is under the ASL 2.0 license, with a link to the license, or have a notice on the edit page? Documentation contributions should not be any different to code contributions.

I was also thinking of adding a simple glossary and knowledge-base space and/or faq space, that would auto-generate listings for pages added and provide simple navigation (similar to http:// confluence.atlassian.com/display/DISC/Home).

I am not that familiar with Confluence, but it appears that the URL above hosts discussions. Do we really want to encourage users to have discussions in places other than the mailing lists? If we could import all of Geronimo's mail archives into its searchable mail interface... that sounds powerful as they say it is fully indexed and searchable with your other content.

http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/features/mail.jsp

IMHO we don't want users having to search in two different places to find information.

John

--jason