Hi All,

I joined this e-mail list in order to chime in to this discussion.  I'm not
part of Apache HAWQ but *do* use libhdfs3 and know a number of other people
who do as well.

I maintain a library for parallel programming Dask
<http://dask.pydata.org/en/latest/>, which is commonly used within the
PyData software ecosystem.  We often interact with data on HDFS and found
libhdfs3 to be an excellent solution, particularly because it doesn't
require JVM interaction, which is rare among our users.   To assist Python
users we made the wrapper library hdfs3
<http://hdfs3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>, which has gotten some traction
both within Dask and outside.

We intentionally released and maintain hdfs3 separately from Dask because
it's a more general and releasable component.  This turns out to have been
a good move.  There are lots of people who use hdfs3 who have no interest
in using Dask at all.  They appreciate this separation because they're not
forced to grab all of Dask in order to just get the single component they
want, hdfs3.  These are great users.  They come from a wide range of
university to small and large businesses.  They contribute back to hdfs3
readily and are also, today, trying to contribute back to libhdfs3.  By not
tying hdfs3 into Dask we increased both community engagement and social
impact.

So my initial bias is "Please, keep libhdfs3 separate.  It will make my
life (and the lives of many others) much more convenient."  However I also
recognize the need for Apache's strict-for-a-reason policies.  No matter
what you all decide the PyData community will find a way to make things
work.  I just wanted to make it clear that there are several other
stakeholders out there using this library so that this decision wasn't made
in a vacuum.

Best,
-matthew rocklin