That's what I was thinking... retiring indicates not just that it's not
currently being developed, but that it can't be developed if needed. It
makes sense for projects to drop it, because they will have no way to patch
it if there's an issue. And, with something like HTrace, which one embeds
deep in one's code, projects need to plan ahead for that contingency,
rather than use it until there's an issue.