On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 03:33  PM, Henning Brauer wrote:

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 02:19:35PM -0800, Aaron Bannert wrote:
What will R-T-C give us that we don't already have right now?
code quality...

really, this isn't meant as flame. There's enough room for code quality
increase, and with C-T-R you will not get it.

the analogy for our stable maintainers is most probably your RM.
so after you've done a release in the 2.0 branch, you select a RM for the
next release, who then is 2.0 branch maintainer until next release.
I simply do not believe that code quality in httpd will be improved
by a R-T-C policy, and I have seen nothing to disprove this belief.

To the contrary, I believe that by placing more speedbumps on the
path between patch and commit, we have a possibility to reduce
quality. In C-T-R a patch can be tested simply by running a "cvs up",
recompiling, and rerunning. In the proposed R-T-C, a committer
must first acquire the patch and apply it before they can even start
testing.

We have a revision control system, use it!

-aaron