On 12/30/2016 9:04 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I was thinking something like
>
>   ProxyProtocolEnable Incoming | Outgoing | Both | Optional | Off
>
> so that we have 1 command for all possible PROXY PROTOCOL usages.
> This, I think, is clearer for end-users.
I do like the idea of being nice to end users... but this may be a dumb
followup question showing a lack of understanding. How would we trigger
behavior in two different modules for the same directive unless the
directive were added to core?

> However, I also see the value in having it as a ProxySet
> parameter for outgoing, so I'm fine whichever way ;)
Actually, I didn't even consider this as an option but *really* like the
idea. It aligns with how we handle flags for outbound behavior already
plus aligns with how HAProxy handles it (on your server declaration you
simply add the "send-proxy" flag). Not that we have to work the same as
another server out there, but as mentioned above, it's nice to be
friendly to the operator by being consistent with expectations.

Between the options of an all-in-one directive and a directive for
incoming with a flag for outgoing, I definitely like the latter option.

--
Daniel Ruggeri