Aye - I suspected this would raise eyebrows so I did bring it up a few
times [1][2]. I'm sure we're in agreement that attribution is important
in the Open Source world so I'd like to be sure it's done appropriately.
I'm happy to fix.

Currently, though, I'm not sure how best to handle this veto... what
would be the preferred path forward? As a first step, I've remove the
three lines mentioned here and added to CHANGES in r1776674. The 2.4
backport has also been modified (simply by removing the lines since
CHANGES already has attribution to the original authors which seems to
be preferred per your message).

Does that work or did you have another approach in mind?

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/95173df808992097f565bc7bcd06a01b2129415bff0aae6c608b82fe@%3Cdev.httpd.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/28e660f38d945216d9d0bb4cba3e1b4336a4c5051a46f17c8f99a0f0@%3Cdev.httpd.apache.org%3E