Sorry for the top post. I've committed r1789800 which pulls out Optional
handling and adds the ability to disable based on source network. This
is more or less the code as it was donated, plus some cleanup and the
small addition to disable based on networks (overall a cleaner approach
anyway). I went with the directive name
RemoteIPProxyProtocolDisableHosts to align more with the fact that a
single host or range can be disabled. I've verified this works via
haproxy, rejects when hit directly and disables processing when coming
from a permitted network.

I'm in the process of updating the backport proposal. To be safe, I'm
removing @jim's vote given how many times the code has changed since he
reviewed and will put it back in the "active" section of STATUS.

--
Daniel Ruggeri