Hi Jim,

Am 13.10.2017 um 17:51 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
Let's recall what is really happening...

In maintainer mode, the build system sets -Werror and -Wstrict-prototypes.
This means that functions which lack strict prototypes will "fail".

Now note that AC_CHECK_LIB does not worry about generating
function calls w/ prototypes, so, for example, when checking
for luaL_newstate, it will fail *even if the function exists*!
In fact, this is how I 1st observed the issue: mod_lua was
no longer being included.

The long and short is that under maintainer mode, we cannot
expect AC_CHECK_LIB to being correct any longer, because
the combination of -Werror and -Wstrict-prototypes means
that any and all functions looked for/checked for using
AC_CHECK_LIB will NOT be found, due to warnings which are
now fatal errors during configure time, even if those
functions DO exist.

PS: CCing dev@apr since APR also uses AC_CHECK_LIB

I has a look at this. autoconf does generate a line they call a prototype, but it is not a strict prototype (there's no type information for the function arguments):

/* Override any GCC internal prototype to avoid an error.
   Use char because int might match the return type of a GCC
   builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
char luaL_newstate ();
int
main ()
{
return luaL_newstate ();
  ;
  return 0;
}

Directly before the "int main" there's the broken prototype line

char luaL_newstate ();

And in fact the compiler would also complain about

int
main ()

due to the missing "void" for the arguments.

Of all the flags we set in maintainer mode, the combination that lets the compiler fail is:

-Wstrict-prototypes
-Werror

It fails for me also when using GCC (from 4.1.2 to 7.1.0)! So I think a clang-specific solution is incomplete.

Why is this happening now? The "-Werror" was backported last December in r1772330, which was a backport of r1702948 from trunk (May 2015). Maybe people haven't used maintainer mode since then?

Regards,

Rainer