Where are we in this process?

We have some Kafka connect integration test failures in the CI build that
seem related to the minio problem. e.g.
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/actions/runs/36037765015/job/107788134738?pr=18213
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/actions/runs/36047551910/job/107794733276?pr=18248

Docker compose loads the MinIO service.
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/blob/main/kafka-connect/kafka-connect-runtime/docker/docker-compose.yml#L23


On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 11:12 AM Neelesh Salian <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I know in another thread there were some CVE concerns raised about RustFS
> (mailing list thread titled: "[DISCUSS] Replacing minio with RustFS in
> quick start demo.")
> I see a blog referencing them is here:
> https://rustfs.com/blog/patch-release-rustfs-1-0-0-alpha-79-released/
> Ok with either choice as long as there is long term support for RustFs and
> for security patches with prompt fixes when CVEs show up.
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 11:02 AM Szehon Ho <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> It also sounds good to me, and also don't have any other strong
>> preference.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Szehon
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 9:03 AM Xuanwo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> RustFS LGTM.
>>>
>>> It's just for CI and should be easy to change in the future. I agree
>>> with Kevin that let's just move.
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026, at 23:55, Kevin Liu wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the PRs to fix the MinIO issue blocking CI. I think the fixes
>>> have now been merged across all the affected Iceberg repos.
>>>
>>> +1 on moving away from MinIO. Last time we discussed this, I think there
>>> was general agreement on moving to another object store, but we didn’t
>>> settle on which one.
>>>
>>> SeaweedFS seems fine, but PyIceberg has already moved to RustFS and
>>> Polaris is also using it. I don’t have a strong preference between the
>>> different options, so I think using RustFS across the Iceberg repos for
>>> consistency would be the simplest option, unless there’s something we
>>> specifically need from SeaweedFS.
>>>
>>> I think we should just go ahead and make the change. I can help review
>>> the PR.
>>>
>>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2026 at 6:21 PM Sreesh Maheshwar <
>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Wanted to revive this question - today, we saw some CI blockages [1]
>>> across Iceberg projects due to MinIO images being removed from Docker Hub,
>>> which adds another data point to moving away from MinIO.
>>>
>>> Worth noting that have been similar threads to this one in the past [2],
>>> [3] - also, Polaris now uses RustFS for its quickstart, with RustFS and
>>> Floci for integration tests (separating those concerns) [4], and PyIceberg
>>> has moved to RustFS [5].
>>>
>>> Wondering what the community now thinks about moving away from MinIO for
>>> quickstarts and integration tests?
>>>
>>> [1] Iceberg Java: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/18071
>>> [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/vnw9jonmfcsz6bwojhfch1nmywyl50h3
>>> [3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/prmpbfy6v20spsmts19hs8gbkkxo16vv
>>> [4] https://lists.apache.org/thread/8o31ly7cd8ov70opjbtg630qlhrfl5yh
>>> [5] https://github.com/apache/iceberg-python/pull/3928
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sreesh
>>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2026 at 5:38 AM Chris Lu <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I’ve been following the recent discussions around S3-compatible backends
>>> for local testing and CI, especially the challenges around S3 compatibility
>>> and credential-related testing.
>>>
>>> I’d like to propose an approach to help address:
>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/14638
>>>
>>> I’ve opened an initial PR that switches the test backend from MinIO to
>>> SeaweedFS:
>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/15577
>>>
>>> The goal is to improve test reliability and better support scenarios
>>> that are currently difficult to validate.
>>>
>>> SeaweedFS is an S3-compatible storage system with support for IAM-style
>>> access control and STS flows. One reason I explored this direction is that
>>> it may help with testing credential-related scenarios (e.g., temporary
>>> credentials / vended credentials), which have been discussed recently.
>>>
>>> There are also a couple of areas that could potentially expand test
>>> coverage over time:
>>>
>>> - Table-oriented bucket layouts could make it easier to exercise
>>> Iceberg-specific storage patterns that are currently hard to simulate in CI
>>>
>>> - Support for IAM and STS flows could allow better validation of
>>> credential-related behaviors used by some catalog integrations
>>>
>>> The current PR is intentionally minimal and focuses only on getting the
>>> existing tests running. If this direction is useful, I’m planning to follow
>>> up with additional integration tests (e.g., around table bucket behaviors).
>>>
>>> I want to emphasize that this is mainly to address #14638 and improve
>>> coverage. If replacing the backend is too disruptive, I’m also happy to
>>> explore alternatives such as running multiple backends or limiting usage to
>>> specific scenarios.
>>>
>>> I’d really appreciate feedback on:
>>>
>>> - Whether switching the backend is a reasonable approach for #14638
>>> - Any concerns around CI stability or maintenance
>>> - Whether running multiple backends would be preferable
>>> - Any specific scenarios we should prioritize testing
>>>
>>> For context, I’m the author of SeaweedFS. SeaweedFS is open source under
>>> the Apache 2.0 license.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time and guidance!
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> Xuanwo
>>>
>>> https://xuanwo.io/
>>>
>>>

Reply via email to