Nice win, thank you! Love seeing more Oxidation of the Iceberg.

On Sep 24, 2026, at 20:38, Kevin Liu <[email protected]> wrote:


This is now done across all the iceberg repos (see https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/18246). Thank you Sreesh! 

We should be unblocked for the RC 

On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 2:57 PM Neelesh Salian <[email protected]> wrote:
Tracking the issue of the integ tests failures here: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/18246
There is an open PR to get CI unblocked for now: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/18247

On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 1:24 PM Steven Wu <[email protected]> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 11:12 AM Neelesh Salian <[email protected]> wrote:
I know in another thread there were some CVE concerns raised about RustFS (mailing list thread titled: "[DISCUSS] Replacing minio with RustFS in quick start demo.") 
I see a blog referencing them is here: https://rustfs.com/blog/patch-release-rustfs-1-0-0-alpha-79-released/
Ok with either choice as long as there is long term support for RustFs and for security patches with prompt fixes when CVEs show up.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 11:02 AM Szehon Ho <[email protected]> wrote:
It also sounds good to me, and also don't have any other strong preference.

Thanks
Szehon

On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 9:03 AM Xuanwo <[email protected]> wrote:
RustFS LGTM.

It's just for CI and should be easy to change in the future. I agree with Kevin that let's just move.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2026, at 23:55, Kevin Liu wrote:
Thanks for the PRs to fix the MinIO issue blocking CI. I think the fixes have now been merged across all the affected Iceberg repos.

+1 on moving away from MinIO. Last time we discussed this, I think there was general agreement on moving to another object store, but we didn’t settle on which one.

SeaweedFS seems fine, but PyIceberg has already moved to RustFS and Polaris is also using it. I don’t have a strong preference between the different options, so I think using RustFS across the Iceberg repos for consistency would be the simplest option, unless there’s something we specifically need from SeaweedFS.

I think we should just go ahead and make the change. I can help review the PR.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2026 at 6:21 PM Sreesh Maheshwar <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi all,

Wanted to revive this question - today, we saw some CI blockages [1] across Iceberg projects due to MinIO images being removed from Docker Hub, which adds another data point to moving away from MinIO.

Worth noting that have been similar threads to this one in the past [2], [3] - also, Polaris now uses RustFS for its quickstart, with RustFS and Floci for integration tests (separating those concerns) [4], and PyIceberg has moved to RustFS [5].

Wondering what the community now thinks about moving away from MinIO for quickstarts and integration tests?

[1] Iceberg Java: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/18071
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/vnw9jonmfcsz6bwojhfch1nmywyl50h3
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/prmpbfy6v20spsmts19hs8gbkkxo16vv
[4] https://lists.apache.org/thread/8o31ly7cd8ov70opjbtg630qlhrfl5yh
[5] https://github.com/apache/iceberg-python/pull/3928


Thanks,

Sreesh


On Fri, Mar 20, 2026 at 5:38 AM Chris Lu <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I’ve been following the recent discussions around S3-compatible backends for local testing and CI, especially the challenges around S3 compatibility and credential-related testing.

I’d like to propose an approach to help address:

I’ve opened an initial PR that switches the test backend from MinIO to SeaweedFS:

The goal is to improve test reliability and better support scenarios that are currently difficult to validate.

SeaweedFS is an S3-compatible storage system with support for IAM-style access control and STS flows. One reason I explored this direction is that it may help with testing credential-related scenarios (e.g., temporary credentials / vended credentials), which have been discussed recently.

There are also a couple of areas that could potentially expand test coverage over time:

- Table-oriented bucket layouts could make it easier to exercise Iceberg-specific storage patterns that are currently hard to simulate in CI

- Support for IAM and STS flows could allow better validation of credential-related behaviors used by some catalog integrations

The current PR is intentionally minimal and focuses only on getting the existing tests running. If this direction is useful, I’m planning to follow up with additional integration tests (e.g., around table bucket behaviors).

I want to emphasize that this is mainly to address #14638 and improve coverage. If replacing the backend is too disruptive, I’m also happy to explore alternatives such as running multiple backends or limiting usage to specific scenarios.

I’d really appreciate feedback on:

- Whether switching the backend is a reasonable approach for #14638
- Any concerns around CI stability or maintenance
- Whether running multiple backends would be preferable
- Any specific scenarios we should prioritize testing

For context, I’m the author of SeaweedFS. SeaweedFS is open source under the Apache 2.0 license.

Thanks for your time and guidance!

Chris


Reply via email to