Tracking the issue of the integ tests failures here:
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/18246
There is an open PR to get CI unblocked for now:
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/18247

On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 1:24 PM Steven Wu <[email protected]> wrote:

> Where are we in this process?
>
> We have some Kafka connect integration test failures in the CI build that
> seem related to the minio problem. e.g.
>
> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/actions/runs/36037765015/job/107788134738?pr=18213
>
> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/actions/runs/36047551910/job/107794733276?pr=18248
>
> Docker compose loads the MinIO service.
>
> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/blob/main/kafka-connect/kafka-connect-runtime/docker/docker-compose.yml#L23
>
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 11:12 AM Neelesh Salian <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I know in another thread there were some CVE concerns raised about RustFS
>> (mailing list thread titled: "[DISCUSS] Replacing minio with RustFS in
>> quick start demo.")
>> I see a blog referencing them is here:
>> https://rustfs.com/blog/patch-release-rustfs-1-0-0-alpha-79-released/
>> Ok with either choice as long as there is long term support for RustFs
>> and for security patches with prompt fixes when CVEs show up.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 11:02 AM Szehon Ho <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It also sounds good to me, and also don't have any other strong
>>> preference.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Szehon
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 9:03 AM Xuanwo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> RustFS LGTM.
>>>>
>>>> It's just for CI and should be easy to change in the future. I agree
>>>> with Kevin that let's just move.
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026, at 23:55, Kevin Liu wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for the PRs to fix the MinIO issue blocking CI. I think the
>>>> fixes have now been merged across all the affected Iceberg repos.
>>>>
>>>> +1 on moving away from MinIO. Last time we discussed this, I think
>>>> there was general agreement on moving to another object store, but we
>>>> didn’t settle on which one.
>>>>
>>>> SeaweedFS seems fine, but PyIceberg has already moved to RustFS and
>>>> Polaris is also using it. I don’t have a strong preference between the
>>>> different options, so I think using RustFS across the Iceberg repos for
>>>> consistency would be the simplest option, unless there’s something we
>>>> specifically need from SeaweedFS.
>>>>
>>>> I think we should just go ahead and make the change. I can help review
>>>> the PR.
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2026 at 6:21 PM Sreesh Maheshwar <
>>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>>>> Wanted to revive this question - today, we saw some CI blockages [1]
>>>> across Iceberg projects due to MinIO images being removed from Docker Hub,
>>>> which adds another data point to moving away from MinIO.
>>>>
>>>> Worth noting that have been similar threads to this one in the past
>>>> [2], [3] - also, Polaris now uses RustFS for its quickstart, with RustFS
>>>> and Floci for integration tests (separating those concerns) [4], and
>>>> PyIceberg has moved to RustFS [5].
>>>>
>>>> Wondering what the community now thinks about moving away from MinIO
>>>> for quickstarts and integration tests?
>>>>
>>>> [1] Iceberg Java: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/18071
>>>> [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/vnw9jonmfcsz6bwojhfch1nmywyl50h3
>>>> [3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/prmpbfy6v20spsmts19hs8gbkkxo16vv
>>>> [4] https://lists.apache.org/thread/8o31ly7cd8ov70opjbtg630qlhrfl5yh
>>>> [5] https://github.com/apache/iceberg-python/pull/3928
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Sreesh
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2026 at 5:38 AM Chris Lu <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hi everyone,
>>>>
>>>> I’ve been following the recent discussions around S3-compatible
>>>> backends for local testing and CI, especially the challenges around S3
>>>> compatibility and credential-related testing.
>>>>
>>>> I’d like to propose an approach to help address:
>>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/14638
>>>>
>>>> I’ve opened an initial PR that switches the test backend from MinIO to
>>>> SeaweedFS:
>>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/15577
>>>>
>>>> The goal is to improve test reliability and better support scenarios
>>>> that are currently difficult to validate.
>>>>
>>>> SeaweedFS is an S3-compatible storage system with support for IAM-style
>>>> access control and STS flows. One reason I explored this direction is that
>>>> it may help with testing credential-related scenarios (e.g., temporary
>>>> credentials / vended credentials), which have been discussed recently.
>>>>
>>>> There are also a couple of areas that could potentially expand test
>>>> coverage over time:
>>>>
>>>> - Table-oriented bucket layouts could make it easier to exercise
>>>> Iceberg-specific storage patterns that are currently hard to simulate in CI
>>>>
>>>> - Support for IAM and STS flows could allow better validation of
>>>> credential-related behaviors used by some catalog integrations
>>>>
>>>> The current PR is intentionally minimal and focuses only on getting the
>>>> existing tests running. If this direction is useful, I’m planning to follow
>>>> up with additional integration tests (e.g., around table bucket behaviors).
>>>>
>>>> I want to emphasize that this is mainly to address #14638 and improve
>>>> coverage. If replacing the backend is too disruptive, I’m also happy to
>>>> explore alternatives such as running multiple backends or limiting usage to
>>>> specific scenarios.
>>>>
>>>> I’d really appreciate feedback on:
>>>>
>>>> - Whether switching the backend is a reasonable approach for #14638
>>>> - Any concerns around CI stability or maintenance
>>>> - Whether running multiple backends would be preferable
>>>> - Any specific scenarios we should prioritize testing
>>>>
>>>> For context, I’m the author of SeaweedFS. SeaweedFS is open source
>>>> under the Apache 2.0 license.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for your time and guidance!
>>>>
>>>> Chris
>>>>
>>>> Xuanwo
>>>>
>>>> https://xuanwo.io/
>>>>
>>>>

Reply via email to