Thanks Kevin and Sreesh!
RC should be out tomorrow.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 8:43 PM <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nice win, thank you! Love seeing more Oxidation of the Iceberg.
>
> On Sep 24, 2026, at 20:38, Kevin Liu <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> 
> This is now done across all the iceberg repos (see
> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/18246). Thank you Sreesh!
>
> We should be unblocked for the RC
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 2:57 PM Neelesh Salian <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Tracking the issue of the integ tests failures here:
>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/18246
>> There is an open PR to get CI unblocked for now:
>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/18247
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 1:24 PM Steven Wu <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Where are we in this process?
>>>
>>> We have some Kafka connect integration test failures in the CI build
>>> that seem related to the minio problem. e.g.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/actions/runs/36037765015/job/107788134738?pr=18213
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/actions/runs/36047551910/job/107794733276?pr=18248
>>>
>>> Docker compose loads the MinIO service.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/blob/main/kafka-connect/kafka-connect-runtime/docker/docker-compose.yml#L23
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 11:12 AM Neelesh Salian <
>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I know in another thread there were some CVE concerns raised about
>>>> RustFS (mailing list thread titled: "[DISCUSS] Replacing minio with RustFS
>>>> in quick start demo.")
>>>> I see a blog referencing them is here:
>>>> https://rustfs.com/blog/patch-release-rustfs-1-0-0-alpha-79-released/
>>>> Ok with either choice as long as there is long term support for RustFs
>>>> and for security patches with prompt fixes when CVEs show up.
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 11:02 AM Szehon Ho <[email protected]>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> It also sounds good to me, and also don't have any other strong
>>>>> preference.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks
>>>>> Szehon
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 9:03 AM Xuanwo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> RustFS LGTM.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> It's just for CI and should be easy to change in the future. I agree
>>>>>> with Kevin that let's just move.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026, at 23:55, Kevin Liu wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks for the PRs to fix the MinIO issue blocking CI. I think the
>>>>>> fixes have now been merged across all the affected Iceberg repos.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> +1 on moving away from MinIO. Last time we discussed this, I think
>>>>>> there was general agreement on moving to another object store, but we
>>>>>> didn’t settle on which one.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> SeaweedFS seems fine, but PyIceberg has already moved to RustFS and
>>>>>> Polaris is also using it. I don’t have a strong preference between the
>>>>>> different options, so I think using RustFS across the Iceberg repos for
>>>>>> consistency would be the simplest option, unless there’s something we
>>>>>> specifically need from SeaweedFS.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I think we should just go ahead and make the change. I can help
>>>>>> review the PR.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2026 at 6:21 PM Sreesh Maheshwar <
>>>>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Wanted to revive this question - today, we saw some CI blockages [1]
>>>>>> across Iceberg projects due to MinIO images being removed from Docker 
>>>>>> Hub,
>>>>>> which adds another data point to moving away from MinIO.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Worth noting that have been similar threads to this one in the past
>>>>>> [2], [3] - also, Polaris now uses RustFS for its quickstart, with RustFS
>>>>>> and Floci for integration tests (separating those concerns) [4], and
>>>>>> PyIceberg has moved to RustFS [5].
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Wondering what the community now thinks about moving away from MinIO
>>>>>> for quickstarts and integration tests?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> [1] Iceberg Java: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/18071
>>>>>> [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/vnw9jonmfcsz6bwojhfch1nmywyl50h3
>>>>>> [3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/prmpbfy6v20spsmts19hs8gbkkxo16vv
>>>>>> [4] https://lists.apache.org/thread/8o31ly7cd8ov70opjbtg630qlhrfl5yh
>>>>>> [5] https://github.com/apache/iceberg-python/pull/3928
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Sreesh
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2026 at 5:38 AM Chris Lu <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi everyone,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I’ve been following the recent discussions around S3-compatible
>>>>>> backends for local testing and CI, especially the challenges around S3
>>>>>> compatibility and credential-related testing.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I’d like to propose an approach to help address:
>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/14638
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I’ve opened an initial PR that switches the test backend from MinIO
>>>>>> to SeaweedFS:
>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/15577
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The goal is to improve test reliability and better support scenarios
>>>>>> that are currently difficult to validate.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> SeaweedFS is an S3-compatible storage system with support for
>>>>>> IAM-style access control and STS flows. One reason I explored this
>>>>>> direction is that it may help with testing credential-related scenarios
>>>>>> (e.g., temporary credentials / vended credentials), which have been
>>>>>> discussed recently.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> There are also a couple of areas that could potentially expand test
>>>>>> coverage over time:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> - Table-oriented bucket layouts could make it easier to exercise
>>>>>> Iceberg-specific storage patterns that are currently hard to simulate in 
>>>>>> CI
>>>>>>
>>>>>> - Support for IAM and STS flows could allow better validation of
>>>>>> credential-related behaviors used by some catalog integrations
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The current PR is intentionally minimal and focuses only on getting
>>>>>> the existing tests running. If this direction is useful, I’m planning to
>>>>>> follow up with additional integration tests (e.g., around table bucket
>>>>>> behaviors).
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I want to emphasize that this is mainly to address #14638 and improve
>>>>>> coverage. If replacing the backend is too disruptive, I’m also happy to
>>>>>> explore alternatives such as running multiple backends or limiting usage 
>>>>>> to
>>>>>> specific scenarios.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I’d really appreciate feedback on:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> - Whether switching the backend is a reasonable approach for #14638
>>>>>> - Any concerns around CI stability or maintenance
>>>>>> - Whether running multiple backends would be preferable
>>>>>> - Any specific scenarios we should prioritize testing
>>>>>>
>>>>>> For context, I’m the author of SeaweedFS. SeaweedFS is open source
>>>>>> under the Apache 2.0 license.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks for your time and guidance!
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Chris
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Xuanwo
>>>>>>
>>>>>> https://xuanwo.io/
>>>>>>
>>>>>>

Reply via email to