This is now done across all the iceberg repos (see
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/18246). Thank you Sreesh!

We should be unblocked for the RC

On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 2:57 PM Neelesh Salian <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Tracking the issue of the integ tests failures here:
> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/18246
> There is an open PR to get CI unblocked for now:
> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/18247
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 1:24 PM Steven Wu <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Where are we in this process?
>>
>> We have some Kafka connect integration test failures in the CI build that
>> seem related to the minio problem. e.g.
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/actions/runs/36037765015/job/107788134738?pr=18213
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/actions/runs/36047551910/job/107794733276?pr=18248
>>
>> Docker compose loads the MinIO service.
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/blob/main/kafka-connect/kafka-connect-runtime/docker/docker-compose.yml#L23
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 11:12 AM Neelesh Salian <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I know in another thread there were some CVE concerns raised about
>>> RustFS (mailing list thread titled: "[DISCUSS] Replacing minio with RustFS
>>> in quick start demo.")
>>> I see a blog referencing them is here:
>>> https://rustfs.com/blog/patch-release-rustfs-1-0-0-alpha-79-released/
>>> Ok with either choice as long as there is long term support for RustFs
>>> and for security patches with prompt fixes when CVEs show up.
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 11:02 AM Szehon Ho <[email protected]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> It also sounds good to me, and also don't have any other strong
>>>> preference.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>> Szehon
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 9:03 AM Xuanwo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> RustFS LGTM.
>>>>>
>>>>> It's just for CI and should be easy to change in the future. I agree
>>>>> with Kevin that let's just move.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026, at 23:55, Kevin Liu wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks for the PRs to fix the MinIO issue blocking CI. I think the
>>>>> fixes have now been merged across all the affected Iceberg repos.
>>>>>
>>>>> +1 on moving away from MinIO. Last time we discussed this, I think
>>>>> there was general agreement on moving to another object store, but we
>>>>> didn’t settle on which one.
>>>>>
>>>>> SeaweedFS seems fine, but PyIceberg has already moved to RustFS and
>>>>> Polaris is also using it. I don’t have a strong preference between the
>>>>> different options, so I think using RustFS across the Iceberg repos for
>>>>> consistency would be the simplest option, unless there’s something we
>>>>> specifically need from SeaweedFS.
>>>>>
>>>>> I think we should just go ahead and make the change. I can help review
>>>>> the PR.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2026 at 6:21 PM Sreesh Maheshwar <
>>>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>>
>>>>> Wanted to revive this question - today, we saw some CI blockages [1]
>>>>> across Iceberg projects due to MinIO images being removed from Docker Hub,
>>>>> which adds another data point to moving away from MinIO.
>>>>>
>>>>> Worth noting that have been similar threads to this one in the past
>>>>> [2], [3] - also, Polaris now uses RustFS for its quickstart, with RustFS
>>>>> and Floci for integration tests (separating those concerns) [4], and
>>>>> PyIceberg has moved to RustFS [5].
>>>>>
>>>>> Wondering what the community now thinks about moving away from MinIO
>>>>> for quickstarts and integration tests?
>>>>>
>>>>> [1] Iceberg Java: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/18071
>>>>> [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/vnw9jonmfcsz6bwojhfch1nmywyl50h3
>>>>> [3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/prmpbfy6v20spsmts19hs8gbkkxo16vv
>>>>> [4] https://lists.apache.org/thread/8o31ly7cd8ov70opjbtg630qlhrfl5yh
>>>>> [5] https://github.com/apache/iceberg-python/pull/3928
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>
>>>>> Sreesh
>>>>>
>>>>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2026 at 5:38 AM Chris Lu <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi everyone,
>>>>>
>>>>> I’ve been following the recent discussions around S3-compatible
>>>>> backends for local testing and CI, especially the challenges around S3
>>>>> compatibility and credential-related testing.
>>>>>
>>>>> I’d like to propose an approach to help address:
>>>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/14638
>>>>>
>>>>> I’ve opened an initial PR that switches the test backend from MinIO to
>>>>> SeaweedFS:
>>>>> https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/15577
>>>>>
>>>>> The goal is to improve test reliability and better support scenarios
>>>>> that are currently difficult to validate.
>>>>>
>>>>> SeaweedFS is an S3-compatible storage system with support for
>>>>> IAM-style access control and STS flows. One reason I explored this
>>>>> direction is that it may help with testing credential-related scenarios
>>>>> (e.g., temporary credentials / vended credentials), which have been
>>>>> discussed recently.
>>>>>
>>>>> There are also a couple of areas that could potentially expand test
>>>>> coverage over time:
>>>>>
>>>>> - Table-oriented bucket layouts could make it easier to exercise
>>>>> Iceberg-specific storage patterns that are currently hard to simulate in 
>>>>> CI
>>>>>
>>>>> - Support for IAM and STS flows could allow better validation of
>>>>> credential-related behaviors used by some catalog integrations
>>>>>
>>>>> The current PR is intentionally minimal and focuses only on getting
>>>>> the existing tests running. If this direction is useful, I’m planning to
>>>>> follow up with additional integration tests (e.g., around table bucket
>>>>> behaviors).
>>>>>
>>>>> I want to emphasize that this is mainly to address #14638 and improve
>>>>> coverage. If replacing the backend is too disruptive, I’m also happy to
>>>>> explore alternatives such as running multiple backends or limiting usage 
>>>>> to
>>>>> specific scenarios.
>>>>>
>>>>> I’d really appreciate feedback on:
>>>>>
>>>>> - Whether switching the backend is a reasonable approach for #14638
>>>>> - Any concerns around CI stability or maintenance
>>>>> - Whether running multiple backends would be preferable
>>>>> - Any specific scenarios we should prioritize testing
>>>>>
>>>>> For context, I’m the author of SeaweedFS. SeaweedFS is open source
>>>>> under the Apache 2.0 license.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks for your time and guidance!
>>>>>
>>>>> Chris
>>>>>
>>>>> Xuanwo
>>>>>
>>>>> https://xuanwo.io/
>>>>>
>>>>>

Reply via email to