It's more than just SOLR-10760, actually. SOLR-10760 is just about
updating the example schemas. No problem, easy to do, we could commit
it today. But I think focusing on that issue obscures the larger
situation.

If we care about having a quality application, though, we need to
address the other points Hoss shared with Anshum yesterday. This
relies on the test randomization in SOLR-10807 to be sure. The
strategy there is to create sub-tasks for each test schema file you
will randomize and fix/file jiras/suppress tests depending on what
breaks. That effort can be done in parallel, and doesn't rely on Hoss
or Steve because of some magic knowledge only they possess. However,
it will go faster if more people help.

When that's done, assuming we're confident we found everything that
may be broken, can we live with the broken features in a 7.0 release?
I think we should understand there will be another decision point once
we're confident we have updated all the tests and found as many bugs
as we can.

So, my overall point is that if A) we agree that we want to deprecate
Trie* numeric fields, and B) we want to hold up the 7.0 release until
that's done, it's more than just updating the example schemas if we
want to ensure a quality app for users. We still need to fix the tests
and also fix bugs that are going to be really painful for users. And
to get all that done soon, we definitely need some more volunteers.