Both "legacy" and "SolrCloud" clusters are search server clusters. Seen
from far enough, they look the same.

In "legacy" the management code is elsewhere (developed by the client
operating the cluster, running on other machines using a diferent logic and
potentially another DB than Zookeeper) whereas in "SolrCloud" the
management code is embedded in the search server(s) code and it happens
that (currently) this code relies on Zookeeper.

I see SolrCloud as a "managed cluster" vs. legacy that would be "Self
managed" by the client, or "U manage" (non managed when looking at it from
the Solr codebase perspective).

Same idea as coordinated vs uncoordinated basically. I don't know why but I
prefer "managed".

Ilan