"classic mode" anyone?     Meh.
FWIW I think "Standalone mode" is fine because it refers to the node
itself, not the cluster.  A cluster of standalone mode Solrs vs. a
SolrCloud cluster.

The SolrCloud name seems too entrenched to try to re-brand it.  And that's
fine with me; it's not a terrible or confusing name (IMO).

I agree with Jan's concern that "self-managed" is ambiguous as to who/what
is managing Solr.  It reminds me of the debacle of the "implicit router" --
boy was that a bad choice!

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley