: > But I don't see why we need to be naming our parameters "JettyThis" or
"JettyThat" and telling people they've got to use Jetty.
:
: We are not naming parameters jetty this or jetty that - we are pre
: configuring solr.xml to pick up the jetty port from jetty.port (which is
: a sys prop used when starting jetty). This is so that you do not have to
: pass the port twice by default - a silly limitation. The built in solr

Right.  To be very clear, these statements from Jan are not accurate...

 * " It is hardcoded to spin up at port 8983+1000 (Jetty's default) "
 * " Solr sniffs on the System Property "-Djetty.port" "
 * " when running Solr on an external app server such as Tomcat - you then need
to say -Djetty.port=8080"

...nothing in solr *code* explicitly looks for "jetty.port" ... the port
info for solrcloud is configured using "hostPort" in the solr.xml file,
and in the example configs we ship, we have 'hostPort="${jetty.port:}"' so
it picks up the host port automaticly from jetty without hte user needing
to explicitly configure it.  Likewise the "8983+1000" logic is acutally
"hostPort + 1000", and even that is just a default if the zookeeper config
doesn't specify a port.  People wanting to use tomcat would
never have to refer to or care about "jetty.port" anywhere in their
configs or installation -- but they would want to modify the example
configs to fit their installation (as should anyone using solr in
production)

-Hoss