In addition:
Solr is *not* and J2EE application! It just uses the servlet container to have
a connection to outside. Installing Solr is JBoss or any other full fledged
J2EE container is a waste of resources and controllability.

I would go down the route and would supply Solr with a high-performance network
layer (like netty) without any Servlet Crap. We don’t use anything from Servlet
contains, only some very limited entry points to get the requests from the
network mapped to our handlers (RequestHandlers are already half of a HTTP
server, because we don’t use any features for mapping Requests to handlers any
J2EE container would provide).

Solr is a server and not a webapp. Do you install MySQL inside a servlet
container? Do you install PostgreSQL inside a servlet Container? Do you install
*foobar* inside a Servlet Container if it’s a database-like server? NO! - As so
Solr. Solr, like ElasticSearch (which does not use servlets) is a server and
you run it from command line or init.d/upstart scripts like any other database
server.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler