> I would go down the route and would supply Solr with a high-performance
> network layer (like netty) without any Servlet Crap.

Yea, that would certainly be an interesting path to explore and a more
attractive way to morph Solr into a standalone server than being a Jetty-only
webapp. It would probably simplify and speed many things up but also open up
another box of problems. But I can't help to think it would be cool to be able
to ssh into a Solr server and do stuff through a CLI :)

But as it is now, Solr *is* a web-app and that has its benefits in that we
concentrate on the search features, not the deployment ; and large
organizations already know how to deploy, configure and monitor their favorite
app-server, so Solr is just another use case. One of my customers use Resin for
all their webapps, and also run Solr in Resin, reusing their IT dept's best
practice deployment and security stuff. They also needed certificate based
authentication and encryption on all traffic to the Solr servers since their
index contains sensitive docs, so they added HTTPS with certificates easily
since they knew the Resin container already.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com