Hello,

We released the 4.0-alpha at the beginning of the month, I think its
time we start figuring out what/when the beta should be.

What:
Originally one proposal was that the 4.0-beta would offer some
additional guarantees (such as keeping API backwards compatibility /
config-file backwards compatibility).
We should think about exactly what this means:
1. does it make sense to guarantee API backwards compatibility for Solr?
2. what about the fact so many Lucene apis are @experimental anyway?
3. what about the fact that if we offer API+config file backwards,
then that means all we can do in 4.0-final is fix bugs (we could just
as easily do that in a 4.0.1).
4. on the other hand if we make the caveats too crazy complicated,
nobody will really understand it.

When:
Currently it seems like there is a fair amount of good feedback and
bugs getting fixed. I don't want to get in the way of that. But I
think a lot of this depends on "What". If we commit to a real
API/config-file backwards compatibility just like a normal release
then I think its a really big commitment and just going to take
longer. One idea is to offer less guarantees to get a beta out faster.

Thanks

--
lucidimagination.com