My opinions inline:

On Jul 23, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We released the 4.0-alpha at the beginning of the month, I think its
> time we start figuring out what/when the beta should be.
>
> What:
> Originally one proposal was that the 4.0-beta would offer some
> additional guarantees (such as keeping API backwards compatibility /
> config-file backwards compatibility).
> We should think about exactly what this means:
> 1. does it make sense to guarantee API backwards compatibility for Solr?

I think for the HTTP API's yes - we should try and provide the same level of
support as a full release. For the java API's, since we have always been more
flexible there with Solr even with full releases, I think we should remain so.

> 2. what about the fact so many Lucene apis are @experimental anyway?

Yeah, you'd hope we would be able to start dropping some of those experimental
warnings. We should review some that have had that for a long time.

> 3. what about the fact that if we offer API+config file backwards,
> then that means all we can do in 4.0-final is fix bugs (we could just
> as easily do that in a 4.0.1).

That's a point - I've got some important hanging chads I'm trying to plow
through myself though. I could really use the extra couple weeks regardless - I
want to make sure 4 is really smooth for the stuff I have. That's just me and
where I am though. You could still make an argument to go GA now and follow up
in 4.1 - I just want to make sure 4 makes a great first impression - and those
couple extra weeks will mean a lot to me in doing that. You could say that
always, but I've just kind of planned on having that time given the proposed
schedule FWIW. Approx mid August for 4 final would be golden for me :) I've got
a lot of doc to write :)

> 4. on the other hand if we make the caveats too crazy complicated,
> nobody will really understand it.
>
> When:
> Currently it seems like there is a fair amount of good feedback and
> bugs getting fixed. I don't want to get in the way of that. But I
> think a lot of this depends on "What". If we commit to a real
> API/config-file backwards compatibility just like a normal release
> then I think its a really big commitment and just going to take
> longer. One idea is to offer less guarantees to get a beta out faster.

I like that idea - I think we should phrase much like the alpha, but more :)
Here are the promises, we are going to try even hard not to break anything in a
wider area though - no guarantees if the problem is bad enough, but stronger
guarantees than you had with Alpha. Normal release promises may have to be
broken (just like sometimes on real releases actually) - but only after careful
consideration about the benefits vs user interruption - not willy nilly.

Lets get it out very soon and then perhaps it can be a short cycle and we can
perhaps even 4 in mid to late August?

> Thanks
>
> --
> lucidimagination.com