On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com> wrote:
> Kudos Robert for pushing on and try to establish some target deadlines for
> the beta and GA.
>
> Given that july is holiday season (Norway is practically closed) and also
> August in much of Europe, I'd say mid-august for a Beta and end of september
> for GA. If someone feels the need or more releases (e.g. Alpha2) in between
> that's ok.

Jan, thanks for your feedback.

As far as additional alpha or beta: I'm not sure thats realistically
possible. Lets consider the time and effort it takes to spin a typical
release:
1 day to generate, upload, and smoke test artifacts for the release
candidate (including fixing stuff that always seems to be discovered)
3 days for the voting period (usually times two, there is typically one respin)
1 day actually releasing: updating the website, uploading the massive
javadocs, sending emails.

So I think this process is usually about a week.
Additionally I think there is little point to issuing alpha/beta
releases if we don't give users the time to actually install them and
report back problems.

That being said if someone wants to do all this work, I certainly
wouldn't vote against it!

I'm just trying to make sure we all think about this realistically.

Personally I'd like to spin up an RC say, next friday (August 3rd).
Given a typical timeframe that leads to us putting out the beta around
Monday August 13th: mid-August as you suggested.

And this gives everyone a week (from today) to fix more stuff before the beta.

--
lucidimagination.com