Hi,

I wrote a Proposal in the Wiki about Build vs Consumer POM [1] and coded a
simplified model for the Consumer POM [2]
As written in the proposal, this would permit us to create new POM versions
that change everything but not the Consumer POM part without breaking any
compatibility with existing Central repository users: build element is the
main element that could be changed, adding new build features/configuration
without affecting consumers.

In addition to reviewing choices proposed for majority of POM elements, there
are 4 elements that require more discussion:
- contributors
- mailingLists
- repositories
- profiles/activation

Any thoughts?

On the code, IMHO, the only missing part is a test of flatten-maven-plugin to
check that everything works as expected in any situation.
And I suppose a discussion on what we do for the xsd

Then we should be able to use this strategy for our own artifacts, before
updating POM model version in any newer Maven version starting with 3.6 (yay!)

Regards,

Hervé

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Build+vs+Consumer+POM

[2] http://maven.apache.org/studies/consumer-pom/maven-consumer.html