Spring Boot (but others are doing too) is using a lot the dependencies with
~empty jar artifacts (
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/springframework/boot/spring-boot-starter-web/2.0.0.RELEASE/
)

You declare something like :

<dependencyManagement>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
      <artifactId>spring-boot-dependencies</artifactId>
      <version>${spring-boot.version}</version>
      <type>pom</type>
      <scope>import</scope>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
</dependencyManagement>

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
      <artifactId>spring-boot-starter-web</artifactId>
    </dependency>

and you have everything to develop your web front-end

https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/blob/master/spring-boot-project/spring-boot-starters/spring-boot-starter-web/pom.xml

This is contrary to the maven philosophy where you should explicitely
declare every artifact you are using to avoid the surprise of a dependency
change which removes / modifies some of them but it has the advantage to
keep your pom readable and the dependencies under control (of the
framework)

The mega BOM is here :
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/blob/master/spring-boot-project/spring-boot-dependencies/pom.xml

And it imports some others boms