How about coming at this from a different track...

<scm>scm:parent:/path/in/parent</scm>

that is an SCM that is the same as parent with a path in the parent.

the parent scm provider would look up the parent's scm and could use
some rules to derive the effective path, acting like a delegate and
giving us the correct path.

would have to specify the scm in all initial child modules.