On 7/29/11 7:45 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
thereof? Does anyone hate it?

I'm just a bit behind on mail, but need a clarification - in Maven the XSD is
an end result of the model that is generated, but you seem to describe it here
as an input. Am I misreading?

I've been assuming that the XSD file is a manual production, but I
didn't actually check. I guess that modello might be in the business
of excreting XSD files, too. So my more recent email is a bit wrong.

Yes, Modello is used to generate the XSD. So the next question that comes up is: can we generate an XSD like you describe using Modello?

If we can, I think this is a pretty decent plan, actually...the best of limited options, IMO.

If we get the alternative format work done later, then we escape the need to live with the format forever too. So, the danger that we're adding to our ball of tape and chewing gum is limited by that.

If you're suggesting a change to the model that is backwards compat API-wise with
4.0.0, and has identical behaviour (or graceful degradation) when read from the
repository by<= 3.0.3, then I don't see any problem with a particular change.

Yes, that's precisely the idea. Some new accessors appear in the
model, and if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
br...@apache.org