For what it's worth, working around Maven not having had a release since the
1.12 release of Aether has been an unwelcome hassle.  (FYI, I reported one
of the issues Jason mentioned, MNG-5087.)

I don't have much perspective on the intricacies or history of the licensing
and governance issues that have been raised re: Aether, its move to Eclipse,
and so on.  Suffice it to say that, as a user, it's disappointing and
frustrating that that such issues appear to have stalled the release of
bugfixes that presumably lots of people are waiting for and perhaps blocking
on.

Cheers,

- Chas